You may wonder why writing a movie review is such a common task for the students. The answer is clear and even obvious. When a movie catches your attention and appears to be full of fascinating episodes, you want to comment on the peculiar moments. Therefore, you go to the platform where you watched the film and leave your impressions about the actors’ play, the script, scenery, and many other aspects that a movie includes.
Writing reviews is not an easy task, indeed. At first, posting a comment of a few words and describing briefly your impression does not seem that difficult. However, composing a full and complete essay is a more demanding task requiring lots of concentration. The cornerstone of the whole process is the proper organization of your thoughts. You cannot restrict your text to simply rendering the content of the movie. A good review should contain much deeper research and, obviously, approach from the writer. Thus, let’s find out how to write movie research and see what are the main aspects that an author should consider during the process.
Start your writing with a clear understanding of the task
Before getting started with the very process, you should figure out the purpose of your writing. In general, a movie review is supposed to inform the reader and tell the story in brief but with conveying the core message.
However, a good movie review goes deeper and cannot be restricted to a simple rendering of the main events. Your report will be a poor representation if you limit yourself to simply retelling the story and stating your opinion about the script. This is a common mistake that many students make and, thus, get lower grades. Nevertheless, your personal opinion is obligatory, writing a movie review involves also such a specific aspect as objectiveness. You cannot fully focus on your impressions that a movie caused when doing the review. Being unbiased is what important.
Do not overdo with the details that you reveal when describing the events. You should be discreet enough. Otherwise, you can tell more than needed and thus spoil the impression.
You may wonder why such an assignment is popular among professors. There is an answer and it is quite obvious. A movie review requires well-developed critical thinking skills. Thus, when coping with the task a student demonstrates his or her ability to organize the thoughts and build the chain of events.
Another purpose that a professor may pursue consists of a desire to check whether a student is aware of the plot and can characterize main role players correctly. Moreover, a review is an assignment that can test how good a student can use the vocabulary, analyze the events and put everything into a logical and coherent way.
Investigate the ways to help you with the writing
When you have your assignment on hand, there is a question about where to start. The beginning of any writing task is the most daunting part that requires lots of effort and persistence from the student. Today, you can make use of various methods supposed to facilitate the whole process. These are the tips designed by a professional team of experienced writers who have got the art of writing movie reviews.
Make sure your knowledge is enough to work with
When getting ready to write a review, you need to be fully aware of the plot and the events presented in the movie. Therefore, it is better to watch it more than once. For the first time, you can simply enjoy the process and notice some major events. For the second time, you can deeply investigate the events and make appropriate notes, as you can never know what important thing you may have overlooked.
Having a picture of the major events is not enough to make up a good review. You need to go deeper and get to know what was the motivation that a filmmaker had. The information about the locations where the scenes were shot will also be of great interest. You can figure out whether there is a real story behind the fiction events. It will benefit your review.
Go deeper into the bottom line
TO write about the film, you need to understand what idea lies behind the representation of the cursory event. The task will be much easier for you if there are no obscure moments that confuse you. If needed, you can always re-watch separate parts of the movie to clear the air.
Create a draft
It will be your plan thanks to which you will stay on track and be following the initial structure.
Be illustrative and do not be shy to express yourself
When giving the examples, you have to show how this or that notion is represented in the movie. This way you will prove your high interest and insight into the writing. If you mention that the play of some characters badly influenced the movie, you should point out the scenes and especially the actions that made you draw such a conclusion. Commenting and providing your claims with evidence will make the reader believe you because without backing up your words will look poor and hard-to-believe.
Define its significance
Try to find out what place the movie has in the whole film industry. Tell your reader if the plot or the message is unique. IF the film is another average piece that can nothing but entertains the viewer. Film’s importance and value have to be mentioned for sure.
Find the best way to organize the text
You can be a movie buff and know perfectly the plot, but if you fail to organize the text in a proper manner, it will hardly impress the reader. You should always remember the outline. This is your guide that will help you adhere to the plan and avoid confusing deviations. It is a great way to focus your attention on the important aspects of the paper.
Furthermore, when you plan ahead, you definitely save your time for later. Otherwise, you have to think over the details and spend your time on creating the content plan for your text, and who knows in what rush you will find yourself without an outline.
These points are mandatory if you need to organize your text for a movie review like a pro:
- Write a catchy introduction, include the title and some additional information;
- Summarize the story in brief without falling into details;
- Execute analysis of the main plot elements;
- Do not forget about the creative aspects: make sure to mention the dialogues, how the equipment was used, symbols, characters’ images, and outfits;
- Shed the light on what you think about the movie and try to be as precise as possible when illustrating your viewpoint;
- Come to a logical ending with a vivid conclusion: say a few words about the thesis statement, tell whether the author succeeded with the movie and if the picture managed to convey the overall mood better.
Basic steps to follow for a top-notch movie review
There are obvious elements that you cannot neglect:
- the title of the movie should definitely be mentioned in the introduction, even if it seems repetitive to you;
- be attentive when summarizing the film: the best way is to imagine that a professor has no idea about the plot and the main events presented there;
- be convincing when representing your opinion and remember that vague arguments will not make your utterance sound viable;
- mention a few details about the personality of the filmmaker, tell in brief his story and figure out if there are interesting facts in the background which however influenced the scenario;
- it will be appreciated if you point out how the movie is connected with the subject that you study;
- go beyond the scenario and find creative elements that will adore the reader: in the movies, there are usually lots of funny and curious moments that are worth being discussed;
- the casting is the basis of the film, and it should not be abandoned: ponder over whether the actors managed with their roles and how they expressed themselves.
Make it even more perfect
When writing a review do not focus merely on the plot, but take into account various aspects that a film may connect. Always check what you have found on the Internet to avoid filling your text with fake data.
Do not be afraid to play with the information to make your review interesting for the reader. If you care about what you write, the result will always be decent.