To get high marks and succeed in writing a critical analysis essay, a student should grasp the main purpose of the task, as only when understanding where to go you can rule your efforts in the right direction. When a student is assigned with such a task, he or she is supposed to demonstrate the whole scope of knowledge concerning a particular subject. This is the task where you have to speak up and make your opinion heard.
Nevertheless, the task is a tricky one and you can definitely encounter a lot of pitfalls on your way, we are ready to help you with it. There are a few stages, and you need to get familiar with it to provide a decent paper. Now, it is our duty to present you with our critical analysis essay writing guide and tell you in more detail how to cope with the assignment.
Best way to start your Critical analysis Essay
Before we start covering the main points that you need to know for a smooth start, make sure to read the text. Whether it be a dissertation, a term paper or any other type of essay analysis, you should be acquainted with the original piece of work attentively. This method is called critical reading and it should be considered as your deeper acquaintance with the work. Make sure to accomplish this step, as you cannot present a decent paper when lacking appropriate knowledge of the subject.
Thus, there are still some obligatory points that you cannot overlook.
Figure out the thesis for the paper
Consider the thesis that the author of the original work represents. This is the starting point for your critical analysis essay. You should examine this part properly to understand on which basic elements the work stands. Whereas with the academic article there should be no obstacles, when you deal with fiction you can encounter some difficulties. In this case, you would better the theme of the work. It will be enough. Your task is to reconsider what the author meant by the arguments presented in the work. Think about what are the possible reasons that the author argues. Also, look deeper and tell if there is any possible way out.
Research what seems new to you
The chances are high that a new concept will be on your way when you get acquainted with a book or article. There can also be various terms which definitions you have to look up in the dictionary. If you do not have a clear understanding of what the term is, you should definitely consult additional materials. Furthermore, deep and profound research should be done if an unknown concept is the core aspect of the original work.
Retell the story
Considering this issue, you can take two major ways. The first one implies creating an outline. The second way consists in writing a brief summary of the whole text. Feel free to choose what you like most, but keep in mind the topic you deal with. If the concept is broad and needs in-depth research feel free to combine the methods. However, remember to be concise when revealing your thoughts.
Check what to appeal to
In general, there are 3 basic options:
- when managing with works called to entertain the public, you appeal to the emotions;
- in some cases, you have to give rise to logic and convince the reader;
- sometimes, you have to take into account personal virtues or professional excellence and, thus, appeal to credibility.
Figure out the level of appeal effectiveness
Here you have to feel the author and think of what was his or her main purpose. Perhaps, the writer wanted to appeal to the emotional factor or the main intent was to consider the logic of the reader. You should draw the analogies and analyze it properly.
Master the structure with our help
The structure for academic works does not vary tremendously depending on the type of text. Here we also have 3 main stages which are the introduction, the main body and, obviously, the conclusion. Nevertheless, the structure is standardized, you still have to consider the main points pertaining to the structure of the writing.
The first step consists of grabbing the attention of the reader and making him or her read on. Therefore, you need to start the text with something catchy and entertaining. You should present the audience the core ideas of the message, demonstrate the thesis that the author implied. Furthermore, you have to speak up and present your vision of the issue. To raise the interest in the audience, you can pose rhetoric questions. It will grab their attention and motivate to find the answers in the article.
This part is the most appropriate place to develop the topic and includes the discussion. Strengthen this section with evidence and arguments. Try to be illustrative and provide vivid examples to show your personal position.
Stay organized and make your text well-structured. Thus, single out a paragraph for every topic that you want to cover. The structure of the paragraphs should be determined as well. Present your idea with an introductory sentence, then strengthen it with a supporting utterance and frame it using the conclusive sentence.
To start this part in a proper manner, you should go back to the very beginning of your critical analysis essay. Look through the thesis and restate it. Try not to repeat words or word constructions. Keep the idea, but present it differently.
Useful tips to have on hand for a great analysis essay
Make sure to use them straight away, so that your text is perfect from the very beginning.
- Choose the domain that you can speak about. It should be a specific area of interest where you are open for discussion
- Try to balance the positive and negative aspects. If you notice that your text is telling a total positive story, try to dilute it with hard facts and a bit of reality. The best place for the negative information is at the beginning of the essay, so if you need to insert it to the text, make sure to put it at the very beginning.
- To sound more like a professional, you should add to your essay the opposing opinions and ideas and contrast them somehow. By reflecting another opinion, you may interest the reader more.
- The relevance of the topic is what you have to mention for sure. Your reader may have no idea whether the issue is up to date or it is outdated. Thus, it is your task to persuade the audience that the topic is important indeed.
- To make your essay a professional one, you should avoid phrases “to my mind” or “in my personal opinion” and other utterances if the kind. It will only weaken your text and make you look like an amateur. You can definitely insert such phrases, but try not to dwell on them too much.